You have purchased the land and envision your first braai in your dream home....
The Home Building Process
Brief overview of the steps involved in the building process:
Stages 1 – 3: Drawing up of plans
STAGE 1: INCEPTION
- communicating your vision to the architect or draughtsperson
- evaluate the site, rights and constraints
- set realistic budget and budgetary constraints
- realize the possible need for consultants
- establish project timeline
STAGE 2: CONCEPT AND VIABILITY
- initial rough design
- conformity of the concept with overseeing bodies
- anticipated costs of the project
STAGE 3: DESIGN
- appoint specialty service contractors
- Drawing up of official plan to be submitted to council
- Review the design and consult with local and statutory authorities
- SANS Energy efficiency calculations
- ESKOM signoff
- submit final documentation to Municipality for approval
Requirements for Building Plan submission to Council - Western Cape
In South Africa building plans must be submitted by a SACAP registered person, whether an architect or architectural draughts person.
Building plans need to conform to the requirements of the National Building Regulations to ensure public safety.
An appopinted structural engineer takes responsibility for the structural design of the building, including foundations, concrete slabs, beams etc. Various other aspects of the building’s safety also fall within this department, for example the safety boundary around a pool and that stairs are designed in the correct proportion.
Furthermore the design needs to ensure that there is sufficient light and ventilation in rooms, ceilings heights are adequate and adherence to SANS 10400XA Energy Efficiency regulations.
The building of cavity walls are a specific requirement with regards to structures at the coast. The construction of cavity walls with a 50mm air gap in the middle makes the building more resilient to the blustering Cape weather.
Stages 4 – 6: Building your vision
STAGE 4: PROCUREMENT
- Complete construction documentation and call for tenders
- Appoint contractors
- NHBRC enrolment. See http://www.nhbrc.org.za/
STAGE 5: CONSTRUCTION
- Site clearing and setting out of house
- Dig & Cast foundations, Council & Engineer inspections.
- Build out foundation walls
- Electrical and plumbing rough in. (conduit and pipes under slab)
- Door frames put in place, and walls built to roof height.
- Final measurements for trusses.
- Erect trusses and roof with inspection by engineer.
- Install windows, electrical and plumbing. Drainage inspection.
STAGE 6: CLOSE OUT
- Surveyor and council inspection of completed house
- Services connection and signoff by electrician, plumber, gas installer etc.
- effective completion, handover and occupation certificate.
STAGE 7: Interior Design and decor
- Complete the vision to enjoy a comfortable, stylish and well-functioning environment.